SIGNIFICANT I-35 DISRUPTIONS THIS WEEK: TxDOT to Close Southbound I-35 Mainlanes, Cross Streets, Entrance/Exit Ramps, Eastbound UParks Under I-35
WACO, Texas (July 5, 2022) – Significant disruptions are ahead this week on southbound I-35 as the Texas Department of Transportation plans several daily and nightly closures from US 84 to 18th Street, including all southbound I-35 mainlanes as well as cross streets and U-turns and southbound entrance and exit ramps.
These closures from Tuesday, July 5, to Friday, July 8, will allow crews to hang overhead signage in several locations along the southbound I-35 mainlanes and perform permanent striping work on the southbound mainlanes from Forrest Street to 18th Street.
In a separate project, TxDOT also plans to close eastbound University Parks Drive under I-35 beginning at 5:30 p.m. tonight through early August to complete work on the northbound frontage road. Please see additional details in the second "What You Need to Know" below.
1. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE JULY 5-8 PROJECT
- Crews will begin closures each day with cross streets and U-turns in the early afternoon, followed by entrance and exit ramps in the evening, and concluding with the southbound mainlanes at 7 p.m.
CLOSED Daily/Nightly – Tuesday, July 5 to Friday, July 8
Noon – All lanes of BUS 77 and Forrest Street where they cross I-35.
5:30 p.m. – University Parks Drive and 4th and 5th Streets under I-35; followed by MLK Boulevard and 18th and 17th Streets under I-35.
7 p.m. – All southbound mainlanes from BUS 77 to 18th Street and all entrance and exit ramps from US 84 to 18th Street.
- Police officers will be located at each closed intersection and entrance and exit ramps to help direct traffic.
- All through traffic on the southbound frontage road will be directed onto the mainlanes near N Loop 340 prior to exiting at BUS 77 (Exit 337). This is to help maintain traffic flow and avoid merging conflicts on the southbound frontage road with those exiting I-35. Officers will be onsite to allow drivers access to local hotels and businesses between N Loop 340 and US 84.
- Drivers will be able to re-enter southbound I-35 near 18th Street.
- TxDOT recommends avoiding the area by using Loop 340 to go around Waco or finding alternate routes.
- All cross streets and U-turns, entrance and exit ramps, and southbound mainlanes are expected to reopen by 6 a.m. each morning.
2. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EASTBOUND UNIVERSITY PARKS DRIVE JULY 5-EARLY AUGUST
TxDOT plans to close eastbound University Parks Drive under I-35 on Tuesday, July 5, at 5:30 p.m. to complete work on the northbound frontage road. Eastbound University Parks Drive under I-35 will remain closed for the duration of this work and is expected to reopen in early-August.
- All southbound frontage road traffic needing to turn eastbound onto University Parks Drive will be directed to use the turnaround at 4th Street.
- As a reminder, the city of Waco is currently working to install a wastewater line and has closed eastbound University Parks Drive west of the I-35 southbound frontage road to complete this work. All eastbound traffic on University Parks Drive will continue to be directed to the southbound frontage road where drivers can turn around at 4th Street.
- Eastbound drivers and pedestrians are encouraged to find alternate routes to cross I-35.
Plan ahead and visit waco4bmap.org, for real-time traffic and pedestrian crossing information on I-35 through Waco. Follow @TxDOTWaco on Twitter for the most current updates on construction activities and lane closures.