Upcoming Closures to University Parks Drive, 5th Street and I-35 Frontage Roads
Important I-35 construction information from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
WACO, Texas (Dec. 6, 2019) – Below are upcoming I-35 construction activities beginning Sunday, Dec. 8, that will impact University Parks Drive, 5th Street and I-35 frontage roads. Please see the TxDOT map, plan ahead by using www.waco4bmap.org and use alternate routes during this time.
UNIVERSITY PARKS DRIVE, STARTING SUNDAY, DEC. 8-9, STARTING FRIDAY, DEC. 13-20, 2019
• Crews plan an OVERNIGHT ONLY full closure of University Parks Drive under the I-35 mainlanes beginning at 10 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, and at 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 9. The mainlanes should be open by 6 a.m. Monday and Tuesday.
• Beginning the morning of Friday, Dec. 13, crews plan a continuous closure of University Parks Drive at the southbound I-35 frontage road and under I-35 for approximately one week.
- – Eastbound traffic on University Parks Drive (from downtown toward the Ferrell Center) will need to use Clay Avenue to 7th Street for access to the southbound I-35 frontage road and turnaround lanes at 17th and 18th Streets to cross under I-35.
– Westbound traffic on University Parks Drive (from the Ferrell Center toward downtown) will need to use Dutton Avenue to 4th Street or MLK Blvd. to cross under I-35.
– The northbound I-35 exit at University Parks Drive (Exit 335B) will remain open for drivers to access eastbound University Parks Drive (towards the Mayborn Museum, Ferrell Center, etc.).
5TH STREET, STARTING MONDAY, DEC. 9-10, 2019
• Additionally, crews plan a continuous closure of 5th Street at the southbound I-35 frontage road beginning the morning of Monday, Dec. 9, for approximately two days.
- – During these closures, traffic on 5th Street will need to use Clay Avenue to 7th Street for access to the southbound I-35 frontage road.
I-35 SB FRONTAGE ROAD AT 9TH STREET, WEDNESDAY, DEC. 11, 2019
I-35 NB FRONTAGE ROAD AT 11TH AND 10TH STREETS, STARTING WEDNESDAY, DEC. 11, 2019 THROUGH FEBRUARY 2020
• As early as Wednesday, Dec. 11, crews plan to close the southbound I-35 frontage road at 9th Street for one night to allow for work on drainage features in the area.
• Crews plan to place an extended full closure of the northbound I-35 frontage road from 11th Street to 10th Street beginning Wednesday, Dec. 11, for approximately two months.
Overnight work hours are Monday through Thursday from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.; Saturday from 7 p.m. to 10 a.m.; and Sunday from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. All schedules are dependent on weather and field conditions.
The I-35 Waco project will improve safety and mobility throughout the I-35 corridor.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO: Plan your travel and check real-time traffic maps on I-35 through Waco by visiting www.waco4bmap.org and follow @TxDOTWacoPIO on Twitter for up-to-date lane closure and construction information. Sign up for TxDOT email and text alerts at www.my35.org/Waco.